This Skinny Papaya-Lime Sorbet is the perfect refreshment on a hot day. The texture is smooth with a hint of lime zest throughout to really give a zip to those taste buds. A simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water) is the go-to in any sorbet to give that sweetness. In an effort to cut down on processed sugar and add the “Skinny” into the mix, we are making a simple syrup using Stevia instead of sugar.
Stevia is a sugar substitute derived from the leaves of the stevia plant that is significantly sweeter than sugar and contains no calories. Yay! This sorbet has such a nice sweetness from the stevia that you won’t miss the traditional sugar at all.
How to tell if your papaya is ripe?
1. Look for the yellow ring around the stem of a papaya. If the ring is there, the papaya will ripen eventually at room temperature. If the ring is green, the papaya probably will never ripen and will be inedible.
2. Smell the papaya. If the fruit has a slightly sweet smell, it is ripe and ready to be cut. An overwhelmingly sweet smell is a sign that the papaya is overripe.
3. Gently apply pressure to the papaya with your fingers. If the papaya is very hard, it is not ripe yet. The fruit yields to gentle pressure when it is ripe.
4. Cut the papaya in half. The fruit of a ripe papaya is soft and easy to remove with a spoon. If the fruit is hard, the papaya is not ripe. Thank you eHow.
– 4 C. Papaya, cubed (half a papaya)
– Zest of one small lime
– 1 Tbsp. Lime juice
– 2 Tbsp. Coconut milk
– Pinch of Salt
– 1/4 C. Simple Syrup (portions below)
Simple Syrup = 1/2 C Water + 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Stevia
Quick method: Heat water in microwave for 30 seconds. Add stevia to warm water and stir to dissolve. Allow to cool slightly before using in recipe.
1. Slice papaya in half length-wise and remove all the black seeds with a spoon. With a large spoon, remove flesh from skin and cut papaya into 1 inch cubes. Lay cubed papaya on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and freeze for at least 2 hours.
2. When ready to make sorbet, remove frozen papaya and let sit for 15 minutes on the counter while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
3. To a large food processor or blender add papaya and remaining ingredients. Process/blend until smooth. Enjoy!
See you on the healthier side,